Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Finding Time to Write

I've decided that July 1, 2012, will be the day I start writing my next book. Until then, I plan to use this blog to talk about the writing process.

I'm often asked how I find the time to write with my day job as a lawyer, the demands of family life, plus promoting my books on the weekends. I generally respond that if you love writing, you'll find the time.

But there's really a lot more to it than that. It often means sacrifice, as in going without sleep, going without seeing friends and family and missing your favorite TV shows or the latest movie. It also requires planning. I plan my writing time as I do anything else of importance in my life and I urge you to do the same. It's as simple as writing "write all day on Saturday" or "write from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m." on my calendar.

I recently read an article about another writer's writing process on WritersDigest.com. The article  entitled How to Write a Book When You're Really, Really Busy was written by Ashley Ream, who recently released her first book. The link is below. Check out her process. It might just work for you.

And if you're gearing up to start your book and write along with me, remember that July 1 2012, is our start date. So get ready to write!

How to Write a Book When You're Really, Really Busy

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/guide-to-literary-agents/how-to-write-a-book-when-youre-really-really-busy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela,

    Congratulations on the completion of Attorney-Client Privilege and the start of your new one.

    I'm delighted to see your invitation to join you as you write your next book. I hope that many will join you since having accountability partners is a great motivator.

    Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not be the dynamo you are, but you have taught me a great deal. I will enjoy picking up some pointers as I work on my next book. All the best with your latest book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I got your newsletter I was excited to see it but then when I began reading it I started having anxieties...(well no not really but wow, so much good news in one newletter YIKES. Ok contain yourself Missy...LOL

    First BIG CONGRATS on Attorney-Client Privilege, wow I cannot wait to read more about Olivia anbd Judi....Ummm and I don't blame Judi at all going against these big corporation for a little guy/girl that's plenty to be fearful of....I cannot wait.

    Secondly this innovative venture for writing, the opportunity to write along side you and share writing experiences. This sounds like something I want to be oart of not as a writer but definitely to support all of you venturing into the challenge sorta speak..smile

    Third I cannot wait to read the book and possibly find out why that women on the cover has no face? I'll wait until July 2012. But I noticed 2 books of yours I missed somehow on your website so I will get them in September. But I will definitely get the July release in the first 2 weeks of it hitting the shelves.

    Thanks so much for your courtroom in books..
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela, I've always found you to be generous with your time and advice to writers. I am THRILLED that you have started a blog to give us newbies some help!

    ReplyDelete